Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homemade Hershey's-Style Chocolate Syrup

I needed some chocolate syrup the other night and didn't want to run to the store.  Furthermore, I wasn't sure I would find something safe for our family food allergies once I got there.  So I hopped online and found a couple of really easy recipes!  I combined this recipe and this recipe.  It didn't turn out very thick, but it has a strong, rich flavor and I've decided I don't need it to be any thicker than it is.

Chocolate Syrup

1 1/2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the water, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt together in a saucepan over low heat; whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Remove from heat and stir the vanilla into the sauce. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until serving.  Will thicken upon cooling.

This chocolate syrup is naturally gluten, soy, diary, egg, and nut free!

No comments:

Post a Comment