Thursday, November 6, 2008

Soy Sauce Substitute

This recipe was a lifesaver for me when I was following a special diet for medical reasons. It's not so soy-saucy that you want to eat it on everything, but it's good in recipes. It allowed me to make a lot of my normal recipes without having to leave out the distinctive taste of soy sauce. Thank you to whomever came up with this recipe!

Soy Sauce Substitute


2 tablespoons salt -- (1 to 3)
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dark molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
1 dash celery powder (optional)
1 1/2 cups water

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir ingredients together. Boil gently until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.

LOW IODINE DIRECTIONS:  Make sure your salt is non-iodized and your molasses is LID approved.

JEN'S NOTES: You could freeze this in 1 tablespoon cubes if you would like, but I find it keeps well in the fridge for a very long time. I just use clean leftover vinegar bottles and double the recipe every time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment