Thursday, February 24, 2011

Taco Seasoning Mix (Karla's)

I found this taco seasoning mix on a Yahoo group for allergen-free recipes that I'm new to.  Couldn't find the recipe in their recipe database (http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Writermom77/) to post the link, so I will include it here.

I've found it's nice to have a few taco seasoning recipes, otherwise every recipe that calls for a taco seasoning mix tastes the same.  This recipe makes enough seasoning for 4 packets.  I didn't make any *changes* to Karla's recipe - it's really good as is.  However, I do always add bouillon granules or Better than Bouillon (about 1 tsp) to whatever I'm making in the flavor of meat that I'm making (for chicken add chicken bouillon, etc).  It just adds another layer of flavor that I love.  Anyway, here's the recipe!

Taco Seasoning Mix (Karla's)

6 tsp chili powder
5 tsp paprika (smoked paprika is yummy)
4 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
3 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cornstarch. Close lid securely, and shake well to mix contents.

7 teaspoons equals 1 package of taco seasoning. Makes about 28 tsp.

Source: Karla on the Yahoo GFCF Recipes group

Yield: 4 packets

KARLA'S NOTES:  Here is the recipe I use. If I want to scale back the heat, I reduce the cayenne pepper to 1/8 tsp and increase the chili powder by 1/4 tsp.

JEN'S NOTES:  I don't think I put any cayenne pepper in, maybe just a dash, and the heat was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment