Thursday, November 13, 2008

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Mary, my sister-in-law requested this recipe. She actually wanted the recipe for Poppy Seed Dressing, but the salad that goes with the dressing is so good I wanted to post it, too. I got this recipe years ago from our neighbor, Lynelle, and it is one of my favorite salads to make. We like to have this salad with grilled Teriyaki Chicken, also Lynelle's recipe

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Servings: 4
Categories: Healthy & Light, Salads & Dressings

1 head red leaf lettuce -- torn
1 bunch spinach -- torn
1 pound bacon -- cooked and drained
OR 1/2 bottle real bacon bits
4 ounces swiss cheese -- grated
3 each mushrooms -- sliced
1/4 small purple onion -- chopped

DRESSING
1 1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated onion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Mix dressing and chill.

Toss lettuce and spinach in a bowl. Toss with remaining ingredients. Just before serving, top with dressing then toss the salad.

Source: Lynelle
Ratings: 7 - Very Good 7
Serving Ideas : Serve with Grilled Teriyaki Chicken.

JEN'S NOTES : I usually throw in some slivered almonds also for the crunch. This recipe makes A LOT of dressing. Usually 1/ 3 to 1/2 of the dressing is sufficient for the amount of salad in the recipe. I also add about 1-2 teaspoon mayonnaise and that keeps the dressing from separating immediately after you shake it up. Usually I dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and water before adding anything else. Also, I usually use dried onions - it's much faster. You can also use romaine or green leaf lettuce if you prefer. I've never used the regular cooked bacon before - I always use bacon bits. To me, a whole pound of regular cooked bacon seems like an awful lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment